RE: SliMP3 Ethernet MP3 Player

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: SliMP3 Ethernet MP3 Player
  • From: "Tony Butler" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 16:24:21 +0100

From: Tony Butler [mailto:uhka_d@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 07 June 2002 15:55
To: 'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] SliMP3 Ethernet MP3 Player

Just catching up on my mail since being away - UKHA_D of course takes
the
biscuit for greatest no of emails :)
Seems I just missed the TiVo =A399 deal - that would have stopped all my prevaricating about SKY+ :(
(and now to the topic at hand).

Looks an interesting device indeed - Ken are you going for a Rio vs AT
vs
Slimp shootout then? :-)

I hate to say this, but _could_ be interested.  Am a mug when it comes=
tech toys :(

I would like to know how it compares to the AT though, as it suffers
from
some of the same 'problems' as the DDAR/Rio - ie:
- Low WAF due to crap/(or in this case) no built in controls.  SWMBO prefers to twiddle knobs and press buttons ala AT.
- Have to run server side software
- No WMA/streaming WM support (that I could see mentioned)
- No optical out (in case I do decide to hook the AT up that way and am
wowed by superior quality.
- Wall wart :-(

OTOH,
- nice and slim
- very easy to read lovely big display
- price somewhere between AT and Rio
- sensibly (IMO) doesn't bother with built in amp.

OTOH2 though, perl - eugh! :]

Dunno if the 30,000 'limit' on the AT will be an issue for me (not a
Distributed Audio member :-)) but you never know......

Tony