Wireless LAN - external antenna and remote sites

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Wireless LAN - external antenna and remote sites
  • From: "Stuart Booth" <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 16:14:15 +0100

Guys,

I know a lot of you have wireless LAN access points in the home
(many thanks to the kind efforts of Dr John and his M-in-L!). I think
a fair few of you have wondered about linking two sites with line
of sight together too.

A friend and I (he's lurking here somewhere) have long had this
project in mind. Recently I came across a post on a newsgroup
>from asking after this kind of project.

I sent an email to him explaining my requirements and have to say
he's been absolutely brilliant with information, suggestions, ideas
and, in the end, the supply of all the external hardware and
connectors that I need.

I've now got two small, and nicely priced, 4.2dBi omnidirectional
antenna that I can mount on the roof. These have a run of coax
plugged onto them via some nice and meaty looking connectors,
all waterproofed at the external end. At the other end are a
further set of chunky connectors onto which screw some pigtails.

We have one LinkSys WAP11 Access Point in my home, and, for
now at least, we'll use an Orinoco card plugged into a small
machine at the other end via a PCI->PCCard Adapter (thanks to
JohnT for getting me these). Thus the two pigtails are slightly
different, the Orinoco one having a really small and delicate
adapter on one end and a nice solid screw on lug at the other to
connect onto the coax cable.

Having already achieve 100m LOS with a Fujitsu + Orinoco to my
unmodified WAP11 the theory goes that this little effort should
enable us to have a WLAN link between our houses (and
probably the rest of the neighbourhood - hope there are some
other kidults like me around that like playing games!).

I'll be taking some pictures and writing up the whole thing for a
web article when we actually get it on.

In the meantime, if anybody else has an interest in this type of
project, I can wholeheartedly recommend Dave's service. He's
fantastically communicative which is a big bonus in my opinion. He
currently can't accept plastic, and I believe a website is in the
making, but this was not a problem for me and I would happily
deal with him again. He told me he doesn't mind my passing on his
email address:

"Dave" <Dave@xxxxxxx>

Hope this is of interest to some of you,

Stuart

PS - anybody know a good aerial installer in the Bucks area?! ;-)

--
Stuart Booth
Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

stuart@xxxxxxx / stuart@xxxxxxx