Re: Digital TV on the PC

Simon Brazier wrote:

> I currently don't have any cable running between the two, but would
> like to
> get the output of the cable box onto the PC - as well as to my TV. i.e. I
> want to be able to watch cable tv channels on both my PC and TV.
>
> The WinTV card only has UHF and s-video inputs, and the cable box only has
> one SCART and a UHF output (the SCART currently connects to the SCART
> input
> on the TV).
> Any ideas of the best way to do this ? Remote control of the Telewest box
> isn't an issue, I just want to be able to get a good picture on my PC.

OK...... loads of ways to skin that one...... coax out of the cable box
into rf on the wintv card (assuming that it can tune to whatever channel
the cable is outputing on), scart splitter feeding one into tv and one
onto svideo cable, kat5.tv .... depends on distance, how much you want
to spend and how fast you need to do it

> Any help is urgently needed - preferably by about 12:30PM on this coming
> Friday !! :-)

*Looks up DigiGuide*

*Rolls eyes skywards*

Cheapest and lowest quality is to buy a coax cable..... B&Q etc will
have decent size pre made up cable with the right ends on it.... depends
exactly on how long your cable run is, you could also buy the length you
need and the terminating plugs, its a piece of p**s to do.

Running SVideo over long distances is not practicle.... not sure what
the max is.....

Kat5 is the best bet.... running Svideo over Cat5 cable, but at this
short timescale, probably not going to happen, and will be a fair amount
more expensive.....

> I can run a UHF aerial cable from the loft, but the picture quality is
> a bit
> ropey and I'd eventually like the cable channels too !

Depends what you want for Friday..... if you could live with the aerial
>from receiver and a length of cat5, plus svideo cable at the other end, then
you'll get a much better result long term..... especially if you're
intending to do recording etc.

HTH

Doogie