RE: Embedded web server with serial out?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Embedded web server with serial out?
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 17:32:37 +0100

    Mark - in both these cases you are going to need a bi-directional serial connection and that makes the SitePlayer solution more awkward.
    SitePlayer effectively handles all the network layer stuff for you and has inbuilt memory to store web pages which it can serve. Although it has a bi-directional serial port  it was intended to interface to another processor e.g. a PIC that would then interface to your external hardware. The PIC would handle the 'conversation' as there is really no logic control  available inside the SitePlayer. SitePlayer can display values from data that it receives over the serial port embedded in its web pages. However they have to be presented in a slightly involved way which is the PIC's task. Sending data out is very much easier - you can just put it in the http header that you send to SitePlayer and it will send it out for you, or you can pass it as a UDP packet but you lose the guaranteed delivery mechanism and every request is ad hoc as compared with a session level protocol.
    It sounds like you really need the Telnet product that SitePlayer will provide shortly as it would make it much easier to handle the hardware side. Then your software application can all be developed on the PC - no PIC knowledge required.
    IIRC There is a software product around that would allow you to use a remote PC's serial port from your PC via a telnet connection and Mark has just posted to this list re his own intentions. I do not however know of any software available that allows serial port sharing between networked PC's at a true port emulation level - i.e. so you could just fire up the HV software and redirect the port to a remote PC. The Rocket product and the Amplicon product (both hardware) I think do provide this - at a cost - I am quite surprised there is no low cost / shareware offering - if you find one let me know. Maybe Mark could provide such a solution but I think the overhead of this lower level of development becomes significant.
    BTW You know that with the latest HV software you can site your HV controller on a remote machine and connect to it via the HV application >from nk at the application level though. (Same with SlinkE - it has a remote server component).

    Kevin