RE: Re: ir transmitter some success

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: ir transmitter some success
  • From: "Ian B" <Ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 13:06:19 +0100

Baby, baby, baby, 30 seconds mail, baby, baby - you get the picture.........
;-)

Transistors are amplifiers which means that you can switch a large current
with a VERY small one. I cannot remember which circuit you are using but
here is a guess. In order for a transistor base to work it needs a circuit.
The fact that it switches the collector is almost incidental in this case.
Maybe the emitter is connected to the base of the other transistor (thereby
completing the circuit) and the current flow is enough to trigger the base
of the second tranny into switching its own collector. Transistors are also
proportional at very low base currents. If you apply a very small current to
the base the transistor will only allow a small amount across the other
pins. You can demonstrate this with your LED circuit and apply the voltage
to the base of the transistor through ever larger resistors. At some point
the LED will start to dim as the flow is slowed.

I hope this explains a few 'features' of electronics.

Ian B

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor