Re: Re: Hmevision ir transmitter

OK I'm home

I think I've read the relevant messages. IF I've read them right then HV
port a o/p is via a PNP which means it will source the o/p and give a +volts
supply.

This lunch I built up a simple circuit details are here:

http://galeforce9.dnsalias.org/dsc0_0064.jpg

http://galeforce9.dnsalias.org/dsc0_0066.jpg

http://galeforce9.dnsalias.org/dsc0_0067.jpg

You only need the one transistor. It is ZTX651 I had on the bench at work.
It will handling up to 2A and does not require any form of heatsink. It is
an e-line transistor and has a very low on resistance. It will only take
about 1mA of current to drive it from homevision. If the led's you use are
20mA devices then each transistor will drive 100 of them. If this is OTT
then the ZTX450 (IIRC) is half that at 1A.

The circuit is wired just to show it working ie the 10K resistor to the base
is connected to the 5V rail to simulate a 5v o/p from HV.

If you drop me your address Andy I'll stick it in the post and you can
experiment with it. (It is no good to me !)

In answer to an earlier question you are correct that for current to flow it
needs to complete a circuit. When voltage is applied to the base of a
transistor it flows through the base emitter junction of the transistor to
ground.

I hope I've explained things ok, I'm not the best teacher, but if you are
unsure just ask.

Again so as not to offend the list if ANYONE wants this topic off list just
say and it will be.

Ian D