RE: The List - The Future?

All,

Firstly, Im gonna apologise if I offend anyone here for what I am about to
say.  I am mearly voicing MY opinion, Im not asking people to agree or
disagree.

Ive been on this list for nearly 3 years.  I this time it has change and
eveloved.  I have met lots of new people, made some good friends, and had my
eyes opened to new ideas.  The number of posts has increased, and this has
spawned many "splinter-groups". This is good.

Over the past couple of months, the list has become like a battle ground,
with things getting petty and people having digs at each other just because
their opinions dont match.  The bickering becomes arguing, and the real
reason we are ALL hear, our interest in HA is lost.  The amount of HA
realated posts this month (again IMHO)has been the worst since I started.
This is bad.

Now Mark has considered moderating this group to try to keep everyone happy.
This is going to mean LOADS of work for him (200+ mails a day to wade
through and decide if its appropite).  Hasn't Mark done enough for HA in the
UK?  Not only has he set up AND MAINTAINS the best HA site on the net, but
also goes out of his way to arrange prizes for the meet's etc, to try to
make this group something different to the usual forums.  Such is his
interest in the group, we have evn had phone calls from Mark at some of the
smalled meets held in London throughout the year, and the thanks he gets is
complaint after complaint about how "bad" the list is becoming.  I dont
think that is very fair.

Moderation is NOT the answer.  If the list became moderated, the number of
posts would drop, people would become bored and leave, and the community we
have built would die.  What is called for, however, is SELF-moderation.
THINK about what your posting BEFORE you post it.  Not everyone wants to
know that YOUR opinion doesnt match that of someone elses.  If you dont
agree with whats posted, fine thats you porogitive, but do you really need
to let the rest of us know??  Just an idea.  This, and this alone would cut
down on half the useless, wasteful posts that we have grown used to.

With nearly 600 memebers is is impossible for you to be able to please
EVERYONE all of the time.

Again, sorry if anyone is offended and doesnt agree.  If you want to flame
me, go ahead, but dont expect a reply.  Im not going to change my opinion,
any more than you are.

Kind Regards

Stuart