RE: Need legal advice?

Tony,

Your contract is with whomever you paid your money to, no matter what anyone
tells you, this is the law.  WRT Warrenty, this is with the person you bought
the goods from, if there is a fault, you retrun to them and they return to their
supplier however, in this day and age you could return to the supplier direct
but the legal responsibility remains with the seller.

You've got me going now, there is another act you may have heard of which is the
'Trades Descriptions Act' which sets out all the gubbins about fitness for
purpose etc so for say the cake example, if you found a rat (or worse half a
rat) in the middle of the cake then presto, not fit for purpose !

I do believe that there is a legal minimum that a manufacturer must warrent
something as being free from workmanship faults etc but I'm not too sure what
this is.  You would be passing on the manfacturers warrenty so no problem there.

On the opening of goods issue, this is not enforcable by the retailer/supplier
if you can demonstrate that the goods are faulty, you normally see terms and
conditions with a disclaimer 'This does not affect your statutory rights' blah
blah.  Your rights are included in both the acts that I mentioned.  Trouble is
most folk do not know what their rights are and accept the word of the shop etc.

It happen to me where I bought a couple of PC's for a friend to give to his kids
for christmas, I set up etc.  One failed that I had to replace out of my own
pocket as said friend turned into something else and I got stung with months of
support calls for which I spent a lot of effort with 'dare I say' no profit.
Hence learned about the above.

Mark

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor