RE: How important is static IP?

> > Personally, I don't generally find having dynamic IP a problem
for
>home
> > use.
>

>Yeah but for us HA addicts we tend to need em :)

I can see that it's a "nice to have", but what would necessitate
static over
dynamic for HA use? - I have 4 webservers, an FTP server, and inbound SMTP
mail all working OK into my single dynamic IP address...

>>The problems lie with resolving cache TTL, usually you don't have a
>problem but some isps have stupid TTL's, then again most decent DDNS
>providers hardcode the TTL.

I'll have to take your word on that one Tony, as I don't actually know what
it means! :-) - what problems arise because of Time-To-Live values?

>I didn't say you could only that I wouldn't recommend it :)

Any _particular_ reason?

>As you don't have any mx records basically you wont have any emails
>backed up if your adsl line dies.

That's true, but aren't you talking about backup MX's here? - surely that's
only of any value if you actually have _another_ SMTP server to point the
additional records to? - there's no benefit in having multiple MX's
pointing
to the same place... I only have a single server I can accept inbound SMTP
on anyway... having a backup server is overkill IMHO for my personal home
use, and as I'm not using an ISP's relay, I can't point a backup MX at
their
SMTP server for queueing/forwarding either... My point is merely that (as
in
my circumstance) there is only a single SMTP server available for a domain,
AND it is on the same IP as the "A" record for that domain, then
there's no
need for an MX, and having one doesn't offer any additional benefit over
not
having one... (does it?)

Oh, plus the fact that I use Hotmail for 99.9% of my mail anyway!! I've
only
configured an SMTP server "because I can"... :-)

Paul G.