From: BUTLER, Tony, FM [mailto:tony.butler@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tue 28/05/2002 13:23
To: 'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Lossless Compression Help!

> >> Yes, but the compression also removes certain elements of
> the original
> >> and this has been the whole basis of the argument over
> whether analogue
> >> or digital is better for audio for many a long year.

Pkzip etc use compression where, yes, data is removed - otherwise it would
not be compressed!!
BUT at decompression, that data is recovered to create an exact copy of the
original.
With Jpeg/mpeg2 etc, data is removed that CANNOT be recreated - is this why
there appears to be some confusion?
BOTH methods do lose data when the file is compreseed, but one of them can
recover that data.

Tony

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com