PC vs the world (was Showshifter & me)

> BTW, this is going to
> sound insulting to some, and for this, I apologise, but, I've
> noticed that
> the older generation (by this, I mean most people over 40,
> and some in their
> 30s - I'm early 20s, so anything over 25 is old!) don't like
> multi-functional boxes.

How DARE you!
Just kidding!  I'm an old man of 32 and I've worked in IT forever.
I think PC's are great - you can run all sorts of programs on them -
spreadsheets, firewalls, play music, games, write your own software etc - in
short, they are very very flexible
BUT I find more and more that dedicated devices seem to be more stable, less
hassle to set up and generally 'just work' where as PC's crash, the software
won't work under some operating systems, clashes with something else, the
little hardware addon you need won't work because you've run out of IRQ's
etc etc.
These days, I have less time to faff about trying to make things work on my
PC and try to go for the 'works straight out of the box' type solutions if
poss (eg SMC Barricade router.  Could have used old PC but why bother -
bigger, noisier, required os & some sort of routing software installed....).

Don't get me wrong - I would never give up my PC's, and they work well in
some areas, but just because you _can_ do something on a PC, doesn't make it
the best solution (and yes, I know that 'best' depends on circumstance,
individual preference etc).

I haven't followed the SS vs Tivo debate (being too busy with the Rio vs
other MP3 thing!) but I do know a bit about hard disk recording from my
Dad's business building high end digital video editing machines and the
hassle he gets with hardware etc, I doubt I'd ever go the PC route for a PVR
- too much hassle and not SWMBO friendly :)

Tony

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com