Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 11:01 AM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Showshifter & me - all your base belong to us

On 28 May 02, at 10:53, Andy Laurence wrote:

> I think that was the point of the post.  Where you have room for just
> one box, the only box which will do everything is a PC.  BTW, this is
> going to sound insulting to some, and for this, I apologise, but, I've
> noticed that the older generation (by this, I mean most people over
> 40, and some in their 30s - I'm early 20s, so anything over 25 is
> old!) don't like multi-functional boxes.  There seems to be this
> thought that a box can only do one thing at a time.  Where you can do
> multiple things with one box just as well as a multitude of boxes
> (which is not the case with Tivo, ATM), why not?  It's efficient.

<grin>

I'm in my 30's and whilst I can justify my multiple boxes at the
moment, I want my Server to be doing as much as possible to
reduce the number of units.

However a friend of mine has about 6 PCs running ! I laugh at this I
admit, but he does have a good justification:

He wants a configuration that mirrors as close as possible the sort
of environment he'll found 'out there' in actual office environments.
Makes some sense in his case, although this doesn't involve SS in
any way, shape or form (yet).

Stuart