Re: Showshifter & me - all your base belong to us

> Someone mentioned IR control from showshifter. YES

No one said it couldn't be done.  I was just pointing out that's two more subsystems that have to be purchased and installed.

> Someone also mentioned IR control when Showshifter box is not in the same room. Would this not be a problem
> for Tivo as well, or does tv come with some magic method of communicating with all the hardware on the planet
> that is TIVO only and Showshifter cannot use?

I see you have Sarcasm mode on then :)   This was raised because people were saying they had moved their SS PCs out of their lounges due to the noise. This is not necessary with TiVo as it's inaudible.  No doubt you will now tell us you can make a PC as quiet, but that's more money.

> This is one point I will conceed, that Showshifter before 1.5 sucked a fair bit. I did having it running on different
> (early via chipset) hardware but I couldn't trust it 100%.

I still have an un-resolved audio problem (as does my neighbour) with sound levels when switching between Terrestrial and Satellite.  You are right though, SS is mega stable now compared to early versions.

> I am capturing to a raid array in a silencing enclosure.

LOL - very nice, but not really comparable to TiVo is it.

>I can capture from my S-vhs deck or ntl digibox losslessly or with compression. In fact with compression on I can
> capture to a network drive!

So can I, on my SS machine :P  But do I now I have TiVo?  No.

>Oh and I can install more than 2 disks!

Two disks in TiVo would give say 240Gig.  10 Days worth of non-stop playback.  Is there really a need for more than that?

> It then runs thru a little app I wrote that edits out adverts by watching for station idents(mostly for sky1 captures).

How does this work with SS?  Have you thought of releasing it as a SS plugin?  More details please.

> Once I check the edits, IF I want to archive, I convert the files down to Mpeg2 and burn them to dvd-r/rw. Once I
> put a flaging system in place in the recording filename and have the ident software perfect, I'll move my dvd-r drive
> into the Showshifter box and leave a blank in it, and it will do it all automatically.. Tivo can , um , it can do none of
> these things. oh. But the case is nice!

Now you're just being silly :)  Mpeg2 conversions, DVD Writers...how on earth can you compare all that with TiVo?

I have nothing against a multimedia PC setup (I mainly use my SS machine now to play DiVxs to the bedroom or AV Room) but that's not within the remit of a PVR.

> Oh, and I have seen/used a Tivo. The fact most users here defend the fact that their Hard earned money wasn't
> wasted doesn't surprise me in the least.

And like you're not defending YOUR purchases!?  Difference is I OWN both systems.  and there's just no comparison.

> I think we will see that, providing Showshifter keeps improving at it's current rate this thread should be quite funny > to look back on in a couple of months. For Showshifter users!

In a couple of months?  OK...note in iPAQ for end of July - is SS a TiVo killer yet?  Somehow I think I know the answer to that one already :)

> And for those who wanted my specs...

And so this machine with silenced raid array, DVD burner etc...how much did it cost then?

I rest my case.

M.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor