Re: Showshifter vs. Tivo - the final score, Sky + Wins

> > OK, but there's a multitude of cases out there for =A335 and less= .  It
> doesn't
> > have to be a 1U rackmount does it?
>
> Hey, you suggested it, not me :)

True :-)

> > Well, I've reliably run video capture on a PII 333, and my Athlon= 600
can
> > cope with 28fps with just 128MB of RAM and a very old HDD.
>
> fps is one thing, but at what res?

Ooh, good point.  It wasn't very high - no more than vga.

> and using what codec?

MPEG2.

> If you want to
> use any of the newer MPEG4 based ones (divx included) you'll need a re= ally
> meaty CPU.    If you don't have enough horse power then= you can use MJPEG
> codec, but then you'll need a huge anount of disk space.

Agreed, but comparing with Tivo - it uses MPEG2, AFAIK.  Also, I doubt= very
much whether you could capture in real-time in MPEG4 on any mid to high end=
system.

> > No, but the via board has it.
>
> What are the drivers like?  How will Hauppauge work with it? = ; I originally
> had a WinTV PCI with a matrox card.  It was a nightmare.

I don't know, but if it can display wha you'd see on a monitor on a TV, it'= s
good enough.

> > OK, IR controller can be bought from a guy on uk.adverts.computer= for
=A310,

> URL?  What device is this?  Does it work with Digiguide?

It's a UIR as far as I can understand.  There is no URL, but if you go= ogle
news://uk.adverts.computer, you'll see the adverts.  As for Digiguide,= I
don't use it, so I have no idea.

> > and an IR blaster still keeps it cheap.
>
> Is the box in the same room as the TV?  If it is then noise? = ; If it isn't
> then how are you getting the picture and IR in/out?

If it is, then noise isn't a problem with the Via.  If it isn't, then = KAT5.

Andy

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
= 3D""
3D""