RE: Re: Electronics Gurus brain required...

Hmmm. I would have said not on tweaking the relay board much as I would like you to have one. I assume from what I remember of these posts that you are planning to take the HV IR out jack and then split that into 8 individally controlled outputs using portA. From there you want to split each output again into X extensions. The extensions are all one zone if you like and flash together.

Assuming all the above I would go back to the drawing board and build something using the same principals but a separate power supply. Poor old HV is limited in both its source and sink current capability.

So, using transistors and a nice power supply it should be quite easy to do. Don't forget some nice decoupling capacitors as the IR LEDs draw a reasonable current and better safe than sorry.
*********************HOW TO*************************
Basically and without thinking it through too much you would have
HV power from the jack running to the collector (the in) of a transistor.
The emitter (the out) from said transistor would run to to base of another transistor (resistors would be needed).
The first tranny would be switched by PORTA somehow. This gives the zoning. Can't remember how PORTA works so I cannot say more now.

All you need then is a power supply through the IR LEDs to the collector (the in) of the second transistor
As above this is being switched by the 'zoning' transistor.
Connect the emitter to ground and off you go. Again resistors may be needed to stop the LEDs going pop.
For every tranistor added there will be a degrdation in the signal but we only have two deep (ad only one switching rapidly) here so should be OK. Try it and see. Pick fast switching trannys as well. Maybe Dr John could advise you there. This should be nice and cheap as well. Care in your choice of components is advisable as 8 LEDs might draw quite a current.

If you were really cautious you might want to opto isolate it but that is probably another project.

If I have made any glaring errors then point them out to me. If you need a piccy it will have to wait as I am at work and not working!!!!

Ian B