RE: (OT Ish) Switching 1 light off with 3 switches.

I've got a great colour diagram in a book at home, I'll try to remember to
bring it tomorrow & scan.

You need "3-core + earth" cable looped between each switch. Two of the
switches can be normal 2-way, but the intermediate switch is a "special":
double-pole changeover IIRC.

The alternative that I'm looking at are these: (I posted this to the
UK_Selfbuild Y*hoo forum recently). I haven't bought / fitted them yet, but
will let you all know how I get on. They use the same cabling as 2 & 3-way
switches but the individual units are wired differently.

Cheers,

Tim H.

=quoting=

Following up on my own message, I've now found these items. They're
available from TLC at good prices. I'm checking direct with Varilight as to
what I need to buy for my particular situation but they appear ideal.

They're basically a one-way dimmer (i.e. "master") capable of being operated
by any number of remote units ("slaves") and well as remote control units.
So you're not limited to 3-way switching, it becomes multi-way. The cable
requirements are the same as for conventional 2 & 3-way switching but the
connections to each switch are different. They are IR operable and include a
learning function and will do regular one-way switching too. There's no X10
interface as far as I can tell but that's no big deal for me.

Hope you find the links useful.

Cheers,

Tim.

General info:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/White_T
elco_Index/Wiring_Accessories~Dimmers_5/index.html

Tech data sheet:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Systems/TouchRemote.htm