RE: More Meteor Questions

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: More Meteor Questions
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:44:31 +0100

Both of you are right...

    The feature changed with the introduction of V3 which they call a 'new'' product. In fact you cant even upgrade from V2 to V3 - you have to buy the product again. I made a previous post to this list about it as I think it is very unfair to existing customers. However the new version has a load of features that the were sorely needed inc W2K compatibility and Outlook integration.
    The new 'licensing' is very restrictive too - it keys the software to your hard disk so you can only install it once, on one machine and if you have to rebuild your machine it is destroyed. This sort of protection was in widespread use years ago but phased out due to the unpopularity and support issues involved.

    Kevin

Cant find the exact message to post a URL so here is the text ...

    Just to let you all know of the policy that Crucible are now placing on their software upgrades for the Meteor etc.

    Equinox version 3.1 is the latest version of the software that comes bundled with the Meteor and other CTI products, and to upgrade to the version is £49.95 - yes that's right half the cost of buying a new Meteor with the software bundled !

    Now I understand that the new version 3 is a complete rewrite with a whole new host of features added including I believe Access and Outlook integration. A 30 day evaluation copy of the software is available (and on it's way). After that time you are required to purchase a license key and the software becomes tied to the machine it is licensed on. Yep - so not just one upgrade but you need one for each machine with a Meteor attached. Gets expensive for all you multi line, multi PC loggers there.

    The thing that is the real gripe however is that if you were to buy the software >from f their OEM's (w/o software) it would cost you - you guessed it £49.95. So in fact it's not an upgrade of your existing license it's effectively a new version. Some way to reward your past customers eh ...

    So is the Meteor still my preferred CTI device ?? - the answer remains a qualified yes - if you use the software. It still doesn't support Call Waiting but it works reliably and is good value at just over £100 . Make sure the software does what you want though because Crucible will obviously sting you for any upgrades and their are other solutions on the horizon if you just want CID info.

    In fairness to Crucible however this has been very much a 'feature' upgrade and their policy seems to be that bug fixes will be provided foc.The development is also contracted out.  I have a problem with the older software under W2K that they have offered to bug fix if necessary. This is a new bug to them so may be some issue at my end , I have yet to resolve it.  I  am informed that a large number of users have upgraded their software and are very happy with the new features and comfortable probably that ongoing development work is still underway. Not true of everyone nowadays.