RE: Re: placing microphones...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: placing microphones...
  • From: "Nikola Kasic" <nikola@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:57:43 +0100

Paul,
I am sitting in a sofa opposite the TV and I am faced towards TV. Where should I mount my mic? If I mount mic on a wall behind me it will be closer to me then to the TV but it will be behind my back. If I place it behind TV, I'll be faced towards mic, but TV will be closer. So, which way to go?
My original plan is neither. I planned to put it above the doors of the lounge, so it would be at on the side, almost equally distanced from me and TV (slightly closer to TV). But distance between me and mic and TV and mic will be about 4-5m, while distance between me and TV is about 3.5m.
Is that O.K?
I am reading all the theory, but I'm not smarter. All the documents are for the environment when you know where speaker is standing, so you use different kinds of mics to enhance reception from speaker and attenuate the noise. Hence kardioid etc. mics.
However, in a flat I'll be moving and for moving speakers they recommend using wireless mics which you wear, but you don't want those either. So there's no proper solution. I'll asume that I'll be in a sofa and try to adjust everything for that scenario. All the rest is in god's hands.
Where did you buy your microphones from?

I just ordered mic cable. It would cost me about 44 quid, because delivery is £8.
Spoke to Mark from West London Elec as you recommended.
They don't have web site yet (will in a month, he said) and their address is 9-11Acton High Road if anyone is interested.

You said that you did a lot of research before diving into this. What makes you think that recognition is not good because of software and not because of hardware or microphone placement?
Did you ever consider placing wireless microphones, instead of wired ones, so you can place more of them, at more appropriate places?
Regarding noise cancellation, did you consider having one mic very close to TV speaker and use that signal for cancellation. Maybe having wireless one and place it on top, or inside the TV speaker, or inside TV?

Nik