Re: Speakers for announcements

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Speakers for announcements
  • From: "psghome2002" <psghome@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 10:21:11 -0000

Good tip about car speakers - they're going to be quite small and
due to mass-production, fairly cheap.

It would be interesting to compare a good set of car speakers
against some wall or ceiling speakers.

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@h...> wrote:=
> Nik,
>
> I have various HA speakers around my house (6 in total so far)
>
> for TTS announcements, you obviously don't need stereo speakers in each
> room. I have used a mixture of old spare "Hifi" speakers (no= t
really that
> "Hi" though!), and cheap car speakers from Halfords.
>
> In some places I have not used flush-mount speakers as there was
an obvious
> place to hide speaker boxes: in the Kitchen I have one sitting on
top of one
> of the wall cupboards, in the hall I have one hidden inside a box
radiator
> cover, and in the master bedroom I have one hidden inside a box
headboard.

> In the bathroom I used flush-mount car speakers in the ceiling, I
used a
> stereo pair in this instance as I plan to also use them for music
etc.
> whilst in the bath. These are car speakers from Halfords, and I
just made
> sure I got some with plastic rather than paper cones. (These ones
can be
> seen at http://paulg= ordon.homeip.net/bathroom )
>
> As for cable, for TTS use I really don't see any point in using
anything
> more than the cheapest cable available! I have actually used a
CAT5 run in
> one instance, but for most of the others I have used the cheap B&Q=
et al
> speaker cable, which IIRC is about 12p per metre. I bought a drum
of this
> stuff for less than =A315 I think...
>
> This all performs perfectly acceptably...
>
> Paul G.
>

> >From: "Nikola Kasic" <nikola@k...>
> >Subject: [ukha_d] Speakers for announcements
> >Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 15:37:48 +0100
> >
> >The time has come...
> >I am ready to put some more cable throughout the flat. I
downloaded
> >homeseer
> >yesterday, for a trial and saw that I should really have some
speakers for
> >announcements.
> >Inital plan is to put small wall speaker in each room (5+2,
kitchen,
> >lounge,
> >hallway, 2 bedrooms + 2 bathrooms).
> >I plan to put them above the doors in each room. Bathroom ones must be
> >water
> >resistant. Internal walls are very thin, 5 cm including plaster on both
> >sides. Plaster is about 12mm, so I have just 38mm from surface to =
the back
> >of the plaster on the other side of the wall.
> >Did anyone see such a thin speakers, preferrably in white.
> >Are there any standards in speaker sizes, so if speaker dies at some point
> >later I'll have no problems replacing it? I don't want some funny =
shapes,
> >so
> >I have problems finding spare later.
> >And, most important question: What kind of cable to put for that <= BR> speaker?
> >I suppose hi-fi speaker cable should be fine, but are they an
overkill?
> >Also, because it's crossing power lines, wouldn't it be better if =
it's
> >shielded? Also, they are thick, generally speaking, should I go for
> >something thinner?
> >Please come with your experiences, because once I put it in, it will be
> >impossible to replace it later.
> >Cheers,
> >Nik

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D"Click
Click here to find your cont= act lenses!

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk