Re: Speakers for announcements

Nik,

I have various HA speakers around my house (6 in total so far)

for TTS announcements, you obviously don't need stereo speakers in each
room. I have used a mixture of old spare "Hifi" speakers (not
really that
"Hi" though!), and cheap car speakers from Halfords.

In some places I have not used flush-mount speakers as there was an obvious
place to hide speaker boxes: in the Kitchen I have one sitting on top of
one
of the wall cupboards, in the hall I have one hidden inside a box radiator
cover, and in the master bedroom I have one hidden inside a box headboard.

In the bathroom I used flush-mount car speakers in the ceiling, I used a
stereo pair in this instance as I plan to also use them for music etc.
whilst in the bath. These are car speakers from Halfords, and I just made
sure I got some with plastic rather than paper cones. (These ones can be
seen at http://paulgordon.homeip.net/bathroom
)

As for cable, for TTS use I really don't see any point in using anything
more than the cheapest cable available! I have actually used a CAT5 run in
one instance, but for most of the others I have used the cheap B&Q et
al
speaker cable, which IIRC is about 12p per metre. I bought a drum of this
stuff for less than £15 I think...

This all performs perfectly acceptably...

Paul G.