Re: x10 & security if using (RF or IR)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: x10 & security if using (RF or IR)
  • From: "garygfx" <garygfx@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:46:58 -0000

I thought about the security implications of X10 so I have done 2
things:

1. No X10 commands in my house can disable or disrupt the security
system. Quite simply I'm using Comfort for security and X10 is
limited to lights, TV/Hi-Fi, and motion sensors in smaller rooms
(which just control lights, not security). The exception are the X10
cameras but this is taken care of in 2.

2. My RF kit operates at a different frequency (used in the US). UK
X10 RF controllers have no effect on my system and the major bonus is
that US kit is half the price of UK kit or even less. E.g. I bought
two slimline RF wall switches for =A315 which would have cost about =A350 <= BR> in the UK! Two credit card size RF controller for =A315 the pair. I'm
using a little module called V572 from WGL that picks up US RF
commands and sends them into my mains via a CM12.

I've also got my X10 cameras from the US as they're well under half
the price, especially if you wait for the 2-for-1 offers at x10.com.
I know it's NTSC but computers don't care unlike VCRs, and UK TVs are
happy to display NTSC even though they can't transcode the colour.

Hope this helps?
Gary.

--- In ukha_d@y..., "nadzukir" <nadzukir@y...> wrote:
> I was just wondering isnt there a big security hole if you use IR
or
> RF with your X10 system?
>
> If you only have lights and other appliances on then the worst that > someone can do is really turn on your lights if they wandered up to > your house with an X10 remote. But what if it were wired up to your > security?
>
> Any thoughts?

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D"Click
Click here to find your cont= act lenses!

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk