Re: OT Firewall for those in the Dark Ages of NET Access

> > >This is why I like hardware solutions - they just _work_ :) > >
> > Yeah, I can't argue with that.  Only problem is, they cost > > money (something
> > that HA'ers always never seem to have enough of...)  Still,<= BR> >
> True, but:
> network cards, say 15 quid each =3D 30 quid

or, as they're going to be 10Mbps, about =A33 a pair at a computer fair.
> 2nd hand 486, say  15 quid again

...or =A35, if you have to pay for it (they're going free all the time).
> 4 port switch, say 25 quid?

Sounds about right.

> that's now about 70 quid for your cheap solution - very near the price=
> of a hardware router which is a _lot_ smaller, silent, cooler, uses mu= ch
> less electricity...  in the long run, probabyl saves you money an= d is
> more environmentally sound :-)

That's less than =A335 by my reckoning, and most probably less.  A har= dware
router may be smaller, but a 486 is also silent.  I doubt it runs much=
hotter, or uses more electricity, but I don't have a hardware router to compare to.  Actually, I do .... <nips to server room> ... ok, I= conceed
defeat on that one - the one we have here is about 3W.  You're looking= at
about 10 times that for a 486.  If you're really worried about power <= BR> consumption though, you could run it off a solar panel ;-)

Andy
--
Building a community network for Bristol
http://consume.andylaurence.c= o.uk - updated 03/07

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk