RE: Re: Shuttle & via epia... now firewalls

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Shuttle & via epia... now firewalls
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:37:22 +0100

Paul,

Personally, I would use another firewall between the SME server and you Internet link, rather than relying on the one in SME server. This firewall could happily run on a P-90 with 32Mb RAM, so hopefully should cost nothing. The linux "turnkey" firewalls, of which personally I consider IPCop the best, are really "plug and play" these days, and very straightforward to install.

You then allow access through port 80, mapped onto the Andromeda port.

The SME server than is able to be a server, and can allow the access to the files over NBT (the system used by Microsoft "shares") without getting worried about the security implications.

Running the SME server alone has two downsides:

1: The inherent problems of running other services on firewalls, long discussed

2: The fact that it's Microsoft - no this is not a Bill-bashing thing. The problem is that MS is too attractive a target, and there is a lot of hacker activity involved in finding new loopholes. As a result of that, it's pretty much a full-time job making sure you find, download and install every security patch MS launch. Worse than that, security patches aren't regression-tested, so installing one might stuff up something else (that's equally true for non-MS products, of course!) Service Packs ARE regression tested, but waiting till a patch is included in the next security patch can be too late.

However, as Tony says, it's all about acceptable risk. If the only data is your MP3s, and your photos (and none of the photos are things you would mind being distributed!), AND you are backing up your data directories, then it's probably OK. "OK" in the sense of, you may be prepared to accept the risk that some ne'er do well would steal and then trash your data.

In my case, I keep the accounts for my property business on the LAN, and I _am_ concerned about them getting out :-) Hence I adopt a more paranoid approach.

Mark