RE: Shuttle & via epia... now firewalls

> Always wanting to have the last word... :)

Well you're not getting it - I am  :]

> >See Mark Harrison's post on what a firewall *should* look like. > >_that_ is doing the job properly. Your =A315 pc is not.
>
> Oh contraire, my =A315 Linux based IPCop does a sparkling job...

If it were that wonderful and faultless, there'd be no need for the multi machine firewalls now would there?
I wonder how many large corporations out there have a $15 firewall
protecting their extremely sensitive data? :)

> >Um...I was simplifying it.  That's why there's no need to > mention logging
> etc.
>
> Yes, but the use of Intrusion Detection Systems is quite important...<= BR>
um...I was SIMPLIFYING it.  That means kepping it SIMPLE.

> >My hardware firewall/router opening port 80 only to a
> specific machine is
> >not the same as going 'look - here's my admin password, and
> BTW all my NT
> >shares are open to world too'.
>
> No, but one buffer overflow exploit in the software running
> on port80 and
> and it may as well be.

You can if and but about anything you like - anything is possible with the<= BR> right combination of events.
IF there is a bug in Ipcop then someone could get your admin password too.<= BR> Do you KNOW that there is NO possibility of a buffer overflow in IPCop?
Are you SURE it's faultless software?

Oh and BTW, if you're _that_ serious about security, you wouldn't have
revealed that you are running IPCop.
Any hacker on this list now has a good starting point to break into your network. I haven't told you which solution I'm using :-)

> >Oh so you _are_ going to go for a full on 3+ machine
> firewall, utilising
> >different OS'es and firewall software at each stage?
> >After all, if _you're_ going to bother, then _you_ do the
> job properly.
>
> Nope, hiding three machines behind three firewalls would be a bit OTT<= BR> > wouldn't it?

You keep saying "if you're going to build a firewall, do it properly&q= uot;
Now you're saying that it's a bit OTT to do it properly.
At least be consistent in what you are saying.
If you consider it OTT to use a 3 machine firewall, isn't it feasible that<= BR> others think it OTT to have a separate firewall at all?

> But if you're going to the trouble of building _a_ firewall then
> don't compromise it by adding other software/jobs to it, which defeats=
> the object of the exercise.

If you're going to the trouble of building a firewall then don't compromise=
it by using a freebie piece of open source software on a $15 PC.
Since anyone can get hold of the source, then anyone can read through it an= d
look for the best way round it.

No so smart now eh? :->

> >Not everyone connects their machines to the net with no
> security in place
>
> Err, actually most ppl do, fortunately most only connect for
> short periods
> of time.

Read what I said: "Not everyone" is not the same as "nobody&= quot;.
I'm not disputing that most ppl do (even if it is a sweeping statement) I a= m
merely saying that "not everyone" does.

> >Not everyone wants or needs that the level of protection
> afforded by a
> 'proper' firewall.
>
> Mostly because they don't know any better?

No, because they don't need it or don't want it or can't afford a proper 3<= BR> machine firewall.

> >Anything less than 'proper' should not be dismissed as
> totally insecure,
> which is implied in your email.
>
> Sorry, that wasn't what I meant. My point was that if you're
> going to do it,
> you may as well do it properly.

Which is what you are NOT doing.
You have a different solution to mine, not a 'proper' solution.

> >Also, have you considered that by going for a 'proper'
> firewall (what you
> >consider 'proper' (a $15 pc - not a multi machine firewall))
> you may infact
> >increase the likelihood of being attacked?
>
> The firewall is the software, it was written my a bunch of
> ppl who know what
> they are doing, far more than most. It's then been
> scrutinised by others to make sure its OK.

And presumably scrutinised by others to find the best ways to attack it.
> The platform it runs on is incidental.

Then why, in a multi machine firewall setup, is it recommended that you use=
different platforms on at least 2 of the machines?
The reason: To avoid a bug on one platform (and DON'T tell me there are no<= BR> bugs in *nux) allowing a hacker into the system as tne next machine in the<= BR> chain is less likely to suffer from the same problem and thus the attack is=
still blocked.

> And surely saying that is like saying you're more likely to
> get burgled because you have an alarm?

I didn't say broken into - I said attacked.

If you are a burglar, do you:
- Go for the unalarmed house?
- Go for the house a cheap alarm?
- Go for the house with the mid range alarm?
- Go for the top security house with the guard dogs and security cameras?
Depends on the burglar:
- The local yobs out for a laff will go for the house with no alarm
- The semi-pro will go for one of the other two.  But which one. = The cheap
alarm ppl or the others?  hmmm....
If you've spent more money on the alarm, perhaps you have more valuables to=
hide.  Bingo - go for that one.
- The pro will go for the top security house because that's where the
diamonds are.

ditto, perhaps, in cyberspace.

> The fact's suggest otherwise.

You haven't stated any facts so I can't comment on them.

> (Crawls back behind his firewall).

You mean
(Crawls back behind his firewall which 600-odd ppl on the list now know wha= t
it is).

Tony
(Sitting behind his firewall which _nobody_ knows about) :-]]

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

The Royal Bank of Scotland is registered in Scotland No 90312
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB
Regulated by the Financial Services Authority

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk