RE: cddb ripper ?

I've been through the exact same process myself over the last few weeks.

Go to www.r3mix.net <http://www.r3mix.net/>  and follow their advice.

Use EAC for ripping and LAME for encoding with the --r3mix parameter. That
sets up a psycho-acoustic model which is difficult to tell from the original
CD unless used with very sensitive ears and replay equipment. Certainly good
enough for whole house audio and car stereos. LAME can be invoked directly
>from

Because it re-reads the CD multiple times if it encounters errors in the
source bitstream it isn't the fastest of rippers, but it is probably the
most accurate. Make sure the CD is spotless before you try to rip from it
(Tcut or Brasso is excellent for removing small scratches)

The best news is that they are both free, but the bad news (as I've just
re-read your message) is that it connects to freedb, but I've had no
problems with it.

Tim.