RE: Shuttle & via epia... now firewalls

> > Whether the files are stored there or on another machine on
> the network
> > makes not a jot of difference.
>
> Depends on what security you include on machines inside the firewall.
> For example, letting the firewall have write permissions on
> your windows
> shares would be a little foolish IMHO

The scenario you painted suggested that they're in your system so you are
buggered - presumably they have godlike priviledges, so it doesn't matter
where the files are stored.

I meant that if the media files are on the firewall PC or elsewhere on the
network does not, IMO, make it any more or less likely that someone will be
able to breach security.
I set permissions on my shares appropriate to the situation - eg my media
files are read only to users in my domain.
My personal document shares are read/write to me but no access to anyone.
etc.

> Thats the thing with security breaches, you are never really
> sure whats
> happened, if the box is only the firewall then cleaning the machine
> down, completly reformatting the disks, re-intalling the OS, isn't a
> real pain, however if it's got 10's GB of MP3s then your not going to
> wipe those and start again.

If you've got that many, then you probably have a backup incase the disk
fails.
I know I have.

> Consider what might happen if your firewall is then used to attack a
> goverment system, by choosing to wipe the OS and re-install you are
> probably destroying evidence that may be used in a criminal trial.

Just because I run a firewall does not mean my network is 100% secure, even
if _nothing_ else is running on the box.
If that's all I have and the firewall gets killed and I wipe & rebuild the
box then the issue still remains that I am probably destroying evidence.
This again, is irrespective of me having my media files on the firewall pc.

What I do to repair the damage once security has been breached is a
different issue to that of what I store on my firewall.

> > (Apart from my TiVo)
>
> Very unlikely to happen, but how do you explain to SWMBO that 3 weeks
> worth of Big Brother has been wiped by your friendly local
> hacker......

Now that would indeed be a major issue in my household. Nevermind lawyers
and governments - the wrath of SWMBO is far far worse :-)

Tony

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

The Royal Bank of Scotland is registered in Scotland No 90312
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB
Regulated by the Financial Services Authority

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
{short
description of image}