Re: Shuttle & via epia... now firewalls

> > Agreed, but IF your firewall is compromised, this will probably give
> > access to ALL the machine within the network it protects. Also, you
>
> Stuart - if your firewall is compromised, you're buggered anyway.
> Having a load of MP3/WMA files on there makes bugger all difference to
> that. Whether the files are stored there or on another machine on the
> network makes not a jot of difference.

To access those files, you'd need to enable more services which would open
up more possible holes.

> Also, not all security breaches are that fatal.  whoopee - someone does
> a DOS attack that crashes out my web server.

....or uses your machine to DoS a lawyer's server....

> No biggie, I'll fix it when I get home.
> If it was a corportate site then yes, it's a problem - but for a home
> lan, if I suddenly can't access my tivo over the web, or streaming music
> off the server stops then it's not exactly catastrophic now is it?

For you?  No.

> Sorry, I don't know what a machine root is, so I can't say if I've had
> mine compromised or not (oh-er missues).
> Sounds like a lit of a *nixy term to me.

It is.

> I am strictly a Micro$shaft shop.

OK, it's equivalent to someone getting console access as "Administrator".
That's a Bad Thing.

Andy
--
Building a community network for Bristol
http://consume.andylaurence.co.uk - updated 03/07