RE: newbie cable issues + no brainer questions

Hi Jonathan, I bought a B&Q Warehouse SDS or Rotary Stop Drill for =A35= 0 a
while back, well worth the money! Go get one...............

You can use it as an ordinary drill, a "proper" hammer drill or a= chisel
and with another attachment use it for chasing in conduits.
It is amazing how easy just drilling masonry holes is with one of these, can you tell I like it?

I have taken a large mains cable from my consumer unit up into my loft
to power a 74 way consumer unit I bought. This unit then houses a number of DIN rail appliance modules for switching mains or Fluorescent strip
lights and DIN Lamp modules for the lights.

In the consumer unit I have 3 rails, each with its own circuit breaker,
lower amps for lights, higher amperage for mains(ish) items.

I consulted the local electrician before going ahead with this just to
make sure it is legal and safe. Looks good.

I am re wiring my house as I go along but instead of having the ring
lighting circuit I have run the wires from the lamps and wall switches
up into the loft and then connected the ring up there. This is expensive in terms of time and money but I can then remove the cables from the
ring and fit them into the DIN modules and if I sell the house it is
simple to convert back to the ring system. I have everything labelled
also!

Don't bother getting an electrician in to re-wire your home, get good
advise and read how it is done, I bought a good book and read it and
then talked to my local electricians and did it myself, it is actually
no mystery how it is done.

Obviously be very VERY careful it can bite!

I intend using Clipsal switch face plates to control the lights but this is further down the line.

As for remotely controlling the oven, I think the appliance modules can
hack this power rating but, IMHO, I think some things are best not
automated, my opinion obviously and not based on any knowledge.

If I can help further feel free to contact me.

B.