RE: Wireless ADSL stuff

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Harrison [mailto:Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx]
Sent:
09 July 2002 14:24
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Wireless ADSL stuff

>From Linksys:

"Roaming is the ability of a wireless computer user to communicate continuously while moving freely throughout an area greater than that covered by a single access point. In such a system, the users end node undertakes a search for the best possible access to the system. First, it evaluates such factors as signal strength and quality. Based on that information the node next selects the strongest Access Point and registers its address. Communications between end node and host computer can then be transmitted up and down the backbone. When a node no longer receives acknowledgment from its original access point, it undertakes a new search. Upon finding a new access point, it then reregisters, and the communication process continues."

Blech!

So then it does have to loose contact with the first access point before it looks for another. It isn’t a massive deal, but I’d hardly equate that to roaming freely. I see what you mean regarding the hub versus switch argument. I’m visualizing this as I type. Only the relevant lights are flashing. I do seem to remember reading something on the Compaq website regarding keeping adjacent cells at least two channels apart – not really an issue with 14 channels and two access points J