RE: Shuttle & via epia

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Shuttle & via epia
  • From: Primoz Gabrijelcic <gabr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 14:30:30 +0200

I'm currently testing EPIA with C3 800 processor and 20 MB disk (Samsung).
Very silent, very cute.

Current findings are:
- It can run Windows 2000 or Windows XP perfectly.
- Both composite and S-video outputs work as expected.
- If TV is connected to the EPIA at boot time, picture (incl. BIOS start-up
sequence) will be automatically displayed on the TV (S-video takes
precendence over composite if both are connected).
- MP3 can be played without a problem.
- Typical DVD-ripped DivX uses 80% of the CPU (using bsplayer) and plays
well (without skipping, etc).
- With additional network card it shold work well as firewall. I had not
tried to install OpenBSD on it though (and I surely don't trust Microsoft to
run my firewall).
- It is too slow to decode some Microsoft's streaming video (ASF or whatever
that thing is called) - processor goes to 100%, sound is delayed and frames
are dropped regularly.
- CPU is definitely too slow for PVR use.
- There seems to be no way to force default output to go to the TV. If EPIA
is not connected to the TV at the boot, you have to either manually switch
the output (if you have monitor connected so you can see what you're doing)
or shutdown/restart (luckily, shutting down with the Power button works
well).
- I am only able to set TV out to two modes: approximately 2 cm over border
of my TV set (so I can not see Start button at all) or approximately 2 cm
inside border (picture has dark border around it).

If you have any questions or any suggestions what to test just ask.

Best regards,
Primoz

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor