RE: Some DVD bargains if you're interested, including DVDR!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Some DVD bargains if you're interested, including DVDR!
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 14:48:44 +0100

> Last thing I read about sony was here...
>
> http://www.dv-info.net/cgi-
> bin/ib/ikonboard.cgi?s=3d281e214385ffff;act=ST;f=
> 5;t=22
>
> which if correct doesn't sound good for +R..

No it doesn't in that context, but the DVDR drive I saw the other day
supported both +R/-R and +RW/-RW IIRC so I think the point may well be
moot in terms of IT.

> The format with the caddy was dvd-ram, which I had at launch. There
was
> actually a version that could be removed from the caddy (type 2 disks)
> 2.6g
> that could be read in some dvd-rom drives (sr8582-3-4). But no one
ever
> remembers that bit!

Yeah, if memory serves me right the DVD Forum ratified the RAM system
first to which a lot of bums twittered because, ultimately, both Sony
and Philips wanted VCR replacement type affair for which RAM just
couldn't cut it as it had to be cross-compatible with older drives as
much as was possible. So they headed off and formed the DVD Alliance out
of which came the +R/+RW format AIUI. Then out of the blue -R/-RW joined
the fray leading to all this bloody confusion over formats, at that
point there were serious doubts over the compatibility with older
players with the - format, mostly fed by the Sony/Philips propaganda
machines no doubt! ;)

TBH I really don't care *too* much about the write-once aspect so long
as the cost of re-writable media drops as that is the one that, for
time-shifting, I will use mostly. The write once is a bonus really and
the cost of a single RW disc isn't far off what I had to pay for the
last S-VHS tape I had to buy so in that respect this looks a great way
to go IMO. Plus all the players in the house should playback +RW, I
hope! :/

Were I buying a drive for the PC I would be after one that can do both
formats as that's a different proposition IMO.

> But what is interesting is the point you make about pushing the
formats
> for
> home vcr replacements.
> I'm afraid thats kinda off my radar atm but its interesting that
Philips
> seem agressive about that.

Philips are being *very* aggressive about it and if you look around at
DVDR VCR replacement machines it would appear that they lead the field
as it stands and now we have the second generation of those machines
which look to be a hell of a lot better than the first ones. Although
that's always the way with new technology isn't it?

K.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
{short
description of image}