RE: [ukha_meeting] Meeting Update - High WAF projects

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ukha_meeting] Meeting Update - High WAF projects
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 14:37:39 +0100

Well, my SWMBO has started talking about LED and/or fibre optic garden
lighting as well now (in addition to suggesting we buy some garden speakers
last week). She had a hunt around the 'web last night, and found a few
commercial offerings, but they all looked obscenely overpriced to me...
(£200+ for a set with 20 1.5m fibre tails, or £24 for ONE LED light!) -
Granted the LED one was encased in stainless steel and rated submersible to
IP68, but still....

I recall that a couple of peeps here have done some LED garden lighting,
(Ian Bird was it you?) - has anyone done any fibre-optic stuff?...

My builder is even suggesting this stuff as well now, since he took over as
the Project Manager on Home Front... - that bloody Darmuid Gavin has a lot
to answer for...

So what's the best way to go about building up some SWMBO points by getting
some nice LED/fibre garden lighting installed at a much more sensible
price?
(any savings I make can be redirected towards some new toys!) - What cable
should I put in now, in preparation for installing this kind of lighting
later? - Work commences on a new kitchen on July 29th, which includes
changing the access to the garden. I will be putting in a "service
duct"
through the kitchen wall into the garden as part of this, and I have told
the builder to install another outside tap for an irrigation system, mains
cable for 2 x IP65 double socket outlets, and LV cable for
"standard"
low-voltage garden lighting. Speakers will likely be fixed to the back wall
of the house facing out into the garden, so I'm not planning on running
speaker cable to the far end. Should I put in anything else for LED
lighting? - can it use the standard figure-8 LV lighting cable?

LAN access is planned to be wireless only, so I'm not intending to run
CAT5/RJ45 network points out there... (is there such a thing as an external
RJ45 outlet anyway?)

As ever, all pointers/tips etc. greatfully accepted...

Paul G.

>From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_meeting@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [ukha_meeting] Meeting Update
>Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 13:32:24 +0100
>
>Keith,
>
>In order to implement "2" for a set of X SWMBOs, we would
need to ensure
>that we had Y high-WAF features, in a way that satisfied the equation.
>
>           Y > X
>
>Do we believe we can do this? We now have 10 months to plan a series of
>high-WAF features :-)
>
>I'll post a message over on the UKHA_D group ;-)
>
>Regards,
>
>Mark

encouraged to