From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2002 8:02 PM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Re: OT - DVD writers

> Jason,
>
> As I said - "if your requirement is simply _backup_".
>
> I _am_ prepared to put _backups_ on a non-RAID HDD... because _backup_=
means "spare copy".

> I was over-simplifying about the archive usage - the HDD is question i= s,
itself, backed up, to an Application Service Provider with a full HSM backu= p
offering that does a full delta-block backup... I'm guessing, however, that=
this would be out of Ray's price range if he's talking about buying a
DVD-writer :-)

> The point was that hard disk space is, now, rather cheaper than tape, = or
blank optical media... so if the solution really is a _backup_, a copy to another PC is actually the cheapest way to go. I know that a number of
people on this group use _removable_ IDE drives for this purpose...

> Mark

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D"{short

For more information: http://www= .automatedhome.co.uk