Re: NOW : Face recognition WAS Car number plate capture/recognition

>What's the "state of the home art" when it comes to "person recognition" now?
>
>The more I think about it, the more I see "person recognition" based on AIs
>and digital cameras as the only long-term solution to occupancy detection.

It's probably the best way to get reliable recognition (I think).  After
starting to look at the image processing area, I think at the moment
it's not quite practical unless you can throw huge amounts of processing
at it.

Knowing the way technology improves I'd guess we could see reliable
systems coming on the market in less than 5 years time though.

>AFAIK, I'd want the system to tell me which (multiple) of the following were in a room:
>
>- Mark
>- Mary
>- The Milk Monster
>- The cleaner
>- Cat (subject to a maximum of 2)
>- "Anyone else"

One way to do it just now could be by measuring differences from a
baseline "unoccupied" image.  Based on the size of the object you could
probably distinguish people from cats (or milk monsters?)

You could probably count the number of people or cats as well.

>I can see a future in which each room does different things depending on who's
>in it... for example if the cleaner's in a room, all the lights go up to max...
>if it's after dark, and any one _other_ than the cats goes onto the landing, the
>lights go up to 20%...

One day....  :-)  That sounds like my, and probably most people's, idea
of the ultimate automated home, and we'll try our darndest to make it
happen.

If I can get a number plate reader working I'll maybe have a go at
occupancy detection as well.

DP