Home Automator - WAS Re: HV MULTI ZONE RX UPDATE

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Home Automator - WAS Re: HV MULTI ZONE RX UPDATE
  • From: "graham_howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 12:43:20 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Frank Mc Alinden" <armagh@b...> wrote:
> MessageHi Mark
>             Sorry i thought that Home Automator was a similar thing
to Homeseer . To be quite honest once you guys start talking computer
stuff in general im lost . Every body talks about web enabling things
and not being very computer compliant i miss a lot. im even confused
about all those gadgets you,ve mentioned . I hope Grahme and Andy
dont read that post......

> Frank Mc

Of course I read the posts :-)

Anyway, Mark H thanks for your comments, I must remember to pass on
your commission (20% of selling price if I remember correctly ;-)

The reason(s) we wrote/are writing HomeAutomator is because we wanted
a front end that could be adapted so that it was suitable to be used
on different devices and we wanted it to be capable of interacting
with lots of different 'backend' devices.

So for example I would like to see it eventually be capable of
working on any 'computer' which would include desktops, laptops,
tablets and handhelds; with any operating system (that has a web
browser) like windows, linux, mac os; and communicating with lots of
other hardware and software such as HomeVision, CM12, Homeseer,
Mister House, Winamp and so on.

We also wanted the whole thing to be free and to eventually be
released for everyone to contribute to it's design.

But above all we wanted the front-end to be flexible and customisable
without requiring any knowledge of HTML, ASP, Javascript, Perl, C++
or any other 'languages'. The idea is that someone can take
HomeAutomator and set it up for their own devices, using their own
graphics, with variants for people in their own house. I personally
will have most HomeAutomator functionality disabled for my wife and
kids, but when I log on to the same system everything will be
accessible. They will simply see a few attractive screens for
controlling the room they are in, I will have access to the entire
house from any room or even anywhere in the world.

It is, I suppose a very sophisticated two way remote control, and as
such I guess you could argue that it should be called HomeController
rather than HomeAutomator. But I stuck with HomeAutomator for two
reasons, the first was that I already owned the domain ;-) the second
is that it is the 'public' view of an automated home. People are
unlikely to see or even interact directly with HomeVision, so
although it is the true 'Automating' component, HomeAutomator is
what 'users' will see.

I hope that clears things up a bit, I have tried to avoid too
much 'computer speak' and really this message should be the
HomeAutomator group, but you did ask!

Graham