RE: back to basics - laying cables

TAWN Jonathan [mailto:jonathan.tawn@xxxxxxx] wrote
> All thanks for your responses.
> So - if I just make a nice channels in the wall.. and then
> plaster straight over the cables??? Or..
> Channel the wall out.. enough to receive some form of trunking..
> then lay the cables and plaster over the top of that?
> I would have thought the latter the better option - so I can add
> / repair / change cables if needed at a later date

If your going to the trouble of channeling the walls out then
re-plastering/filling over the top you definitely want to fit some sort of
trunking.  If nothing else trunking will protect your cable a little more.

Myself, I've used the gap between the downstairs ceiling and upstairs floor
boards, along the joists, to run lengths of cable from room to room.  This
then just leaves me to chase the wall (up/down depending if its upstairs or
downstairs) to install trunking and then face plates.  The end result is
that I am able to add cables by simply removing the face plate, lifting some
floor boards upstairs and then pulling/pushing cables through the trunking.
I used a drill to make lots of little holes and a chizel to chase the wall,
though I've also used a grinder.  Bottom line is that this makes a hell of a
lot of mess, so ensure the room is empty and all the doors taped up.  You'll
be cleaning up the dust will be all round the house for weeks.

To keep things cheap I've used 32mm wastepipe as my trunking.  This means
chasing slightly deeper channels in the walls, which you may or may not be
happy with or possibly even breaking some regs.  I then used bonding (Looks
like a mixture of glue and plaster) to ensure the pipe is not going to move
anywhere leaving a 5mm gap on the surface for polyfiler to get a nice finish
(You can't sand bonding very easily).

> Nah... I only have g/f - and she doesn't bat an eyelid - she's
> as keen on having the tv / hifi / dvd / sky piped around the
> house as I am - so I'm on a bit of a winner ;o)

I'm in the same boat, so am able to get away with some pretty cool projects.
I now have Cat 5 properly fitted in most of the rooms in the house (Lounge,
Hall, Dining Room, Conservtory, Office, Bedroom 1), just the Garage and the
rest of the bedrooms left.  As I said all the cableing I have done allows me
to replace or add to the existing cables when I need to.  I've only run 4-8
cat 5 outlets to most rooms which is fine for now, but the main thing is
that you allow sockets to be installed in the most usefull parts of the
room, possily near each corner, or near each exiting mains outlets.

Also try and keep cable runs as far apart as possible eg. don't run mains in
paralel with Cat 5 or Coax, it's fine to cross cables over at 90 degrees.
I'd steer clear of running mains and anything else in the same trunking or
face plates as well.

Goodluck

Rob
--
    / ___  / /  / / __   / _____ HOME: chas@xxxxxxx    / /  /_/ / /__/ / / /__/ / / /__    http://www.kaosuk.co.uk/

If you have received this email in error please let us know by e-mail reply
and delete it from your system; you may not copy this message or disclose
its contents to anyone.  Please note that any views or opinions presented in
this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
those of MMT Computing plc.  Finally, the recipient should check this email
and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  MMT Computing plc accepts
no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor