Comfort Questions

  • To: "Ukha (E-mail)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comfort Questions
  • From: "Rob Mouser" <rmouser@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 21:23:02 +0100

Hi All

Well I'm getting there! The barn is nearly complete (Well at least the
ground floor anyway!).

All my lighting is in (8 independently wired zones for Lounge and
Dinning room)
CAT5 to everywhere I can think off (4 points per socket, 2 sockets per
room. And 2 points to where you would normally have light switches.)
CAT5 to ceiling corners of room for PIR's and/or IR receivers.
Audio cable to ceiling points in each room, plus hard wired points in
the living room for full surround sound.

After trawling this group, countless web sites and much more I finally
decided on the C-bus system and Comfort for main control, its all on
order (Although Comfort seem to have quite a few back order issues and
may be a few weeks before the whole order arrives.) so the real fun of
wiring node zero and programming is soon to start.

As far as whole house audio is concerned I've plumped for the
Speakercraft Easy6 Pre-amp (www.speakercraft.com) with a clutch of Arcam
Power Amps to drive the 6 stereo zones. The 6 sources will be, Tuners x
2, CD x 1, MD x 1 and 2 x Audiotrons (Thanks Tony!). The Speakercraft
Easy6 has a built in zoned IR distribution system (I.e. 6 IR inputs
(From each zone) and 6 outputs (To source equipment), its fully routable
so different sources can play in each zone or party mode etc.

My questions are:

I don't want to have to have 2 lots of IR receivers if I can help it (1
set for the comfort control and 1 set for the Easy6) is their any way
Comfort could be configured to forward IR from the zones to the Easy 6?
Two reasons why; cost and I want my automation to be VERY discrete.

Also, I've been struggling with what to use for general control of
lighting (and possibly some comfort automation controls) in each room. I
really don't like the Comfort keypads I think they're a bit ugly (I will
have just 1 in the hall though.)
I like the wall plates supplied with such as the QED Systemline and also
the Polaron units, nice, modern with small illuminated buttons. Is there
anywhere I can get custom versions of this type of thing? Even if they
were RS232 I could link them to a comfort UCM.
At the moment I may just plump for a single gang clipsal plate with 4 or
5 momentary switches to give me some basic scene setting, surely though
there must something that can give me greater functionality?

Look forward to your replies.

Many thanks

Rob

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor