Combining X10 powerline interfaces

  • To: "UKHA Group" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Combining X10 powerline interfaces
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:09:21 +0100

    I notice now that I have a large number of the X10 power line interfaces around (TW7223 TW523 XM10 etc) - probably almost a dozen in my house for various things so a thought struck me....

    It should be possible to build a PIC design that used just one of these interfaces and then provided back a large number of separate interfaces to the different pieces of kit that requires them. Additionally this could reduce collisions on this equipment and ensure reliable operation between the devices. This is really only of use where the devices are local to each other as a cable will have to be run to this controller from each X10 devices. In my case I have 6 all in one place so that would be a great saving. It should be possible to provide an RS232 level interface to it as well, possibly compatible with some other standard implementation.

    Anyone think this is a worthwhile project and how many local interfaces would you think makes sense ?

    As a last point I have always been wary that some of these devices seem to labour when sending X10 - what I mean is that the LED does not flash distinctly ON and OFF when transmitting but just dims slightly - my Comfort does this for example. I have always worried some timing was wrong or something but the X10 does seem to get through - anyone else see this ?

    Kevin