RE: OT - Silicon Valley Visit

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT - Silicon Valley Visit
  • From: "Andy Bovingdon" <bov@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:10:42 +0100

There are some good shops you should visit other than the outlet mall in
Gilroy.
Try Valley Fair down near San Jose (on Stevens Creek Blvd, right near the
junction
with Hwy 17. Also, Stanford mall in, er, Stanford (follow the university
signs from
Hwy 280 or 101 until you hit El Camino Real and then head north - hard to
miss.
In fact just before you reach it you go past a little outdoor mall (wooden
shack like
place on the corner of some traffic lights) - just past that (still heading
north on
El Camino) you will see a small shop on the right called "the Audible
Difference"
worth a look for their hi-end hifi. Larry buys from them - I remember they
tried to
sell me a pair of second hand speakers he owned - but since they were
$50,000
second hand I passed. Another Place to visit is Frys Electronics - big
warehouse
like shop full of gadgets and stuff.  My favorite is again just off Hwy 17
at Hamilton
Ave (go north). If you keep going north on Hamilton you come to a outdoor
mall
on the left (near a cinema - it's quite a way). Century Stereo is in there -
again
some cool stuff - great home cinema room. Then there is LaserLand on De Anza
Blvd off Hwy 80...

Ok, so I'm a really sad shop-freak.

I agree with the fishermans wharf bit and book Alcatraz as soon as you
arrive
(or earlier) and get the audio tour. Also go see a film at the Sony Metreon
or
an IMAX if there are any good ones on - preferably a 3d one. Also agree with
Yosemite. If it rains (sometimes does) you can drive down to Monterey and
visit the aquarium. Worth doing if it's nice also. You could book a whale
watching trip from Monterey, or I prefer the ones that go from Moss Landing.
You can go kayaking in the estuary there - really cool to be among the
seals,
sea lions and sea otters.

Where are you staying?

If you have any more questions give me a shout. I go out to the bay area
every other month - know it quite well now :-)

Bov!