RE: Veronica FM

Hi Christian,

I dont think it is 300 WATTS !!!!!

According to the website it runs of 2 x AAA batteries. Drawing that amount
of power if it was possible, would give a battery life of milliseconds (if
not microseconds).

300w is just the name of it. If not, something is SERIOUSLY wrong with the
design if it only gets 10 - 30 feet from a 300 watt transmitter.

I was the station engineer for Coastal Radio when we did three RSL's
(Restricted Service Licence). The restrictions are that you can only
broadcast for 30 days, the aerial must not be above 30m ( I  think) and
maximum power is restricted to 25 watts.

We were supposed to cover a 5 mile radius but we had people phoning in from
30 miles away :-)

If I  had a 300 watt transmitter running in the back of the car, I dont
think I would want to sit a few feet of the transmitter for fear of doign
some serious damage to my insides.

It certainly cant have been healthy for the crew of Pirate radio ships being
in close proximity to 50kW of RF although no doubt the steel bulkheads would
have provided some screening.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv