Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 9:05 AM
Subject: [ukha_d] Lite Control Network- LINET

Hi All,

Indicated some time ago that I was looking at the Linet technology:
and indicated I would let people know pricing etc.

I ended up ordering some bits and pieces to test the technology both for personal use and maybe commercial use as I am involved in an electronics design company.

Finally the stuff arrived (hand carried to NZ via sister-inlaw) and have managed to set it up (in between having a baby born at home a week ago !).

First prices:
- hybrid nodes pretty expensive 19.30 Euro each for quantity 10, dropping to 13.10 Euro for quantity 1000.
- node chips only (make your own PCB etc) as follows.
QTY Price, EUR each
50             10,90 (MOQ)
5000          5,70
- the controller node is being cost reduced at the moment as it is far too expensive at around 400 Euro in small quantities.

First impressions:
1) Very cute and very simple to use.  The nodes can be programmed to be various I/O devices (switch inputs/outputs, PWM outputs, serial data outputs, A/D inputs) and supports virtual grouping of nodes.
2) Controller has both serial and ethernet interfaces
3) 200m length of bus (any configuration star, bus etc) may be an issue and require multiple controllers.
4) No development tools required !
5) Support to date has been excellent
6) TDM bus approach means communication times are very deterministic and non-blocking.

I have been looking for a technology that could form the basis of my hardwired lighting system and general control system.  It needs to be simple, open interface and reliable.  I think Linet will do the job.  I have looked at LonWorks, C-bus, DIY CAN bus, DIY RS485, 1-Wire and others.

Have designed a 2 zone stereo amplifier with digital volume control and source selection control (sound familiar Keith !!) using Linet as control interface - but that should be the subject of another post.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I thought it may be interesting to some of you DIY on the list.  BTW no affliations to Linet and it does have risks being proprietary.

Cheers
Shane