RE: UK Modems with Caller ID

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: UK Modems with Caller ID
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:30:20 +0100

    Yes- you can do this - the output is just a serial data stream of the CLIP packet as it arrives. (effectively tapping in immediately after a modem decode of the 1200 baud data). One of my BT units was used this way - got a Meteor though and retired it. You also really need to opto isolate the output to avoid any problems though. The cheapo mod I saw did not do this it used blocking capacitors and created loads of problem posts, can't even remember where I saw this though. On top of that you need some intelligent massaging of the incoming data for error checking and stripping of the pre and post amble and parsing out the wanted data. Everything that is in the transmitted CLIP packet is available though of course.

    Kevin