RE: X10 problems!! and footy free too

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: X10 problems!! and footy free too
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:12:48 +0100

    You can buy a filter that plugs in between the socket and your UPS lead which will effectively isolate it X10 wise from the house- if I remember rightly LetsAutomate will sell you one and if  it doesn't solve the problem they'll buy it back. Laser also do the same filter.
    X10 is basically an unreliable system and is disrupted mainly not by the length that it has to travel but the attenuation or noise that it receives from other devices that sit on the same phase. In my house (which is unusually sprawled across a wide area) I have managed to get fairly reliable transmission now. I started with everything unplugged and switched off and then slowly introduced things and noted the effect they were having. This way I identified about 4 key devices that were killing the X10 - DDAR - old TV - one PC and a HP Laser printer. I have these on filters now and all seems well. I think collisions are most of my problems now.
     What I am really saying is that in a typical family house I feel sure that you should be able to get solid reception of X10 with a little investigation and corrective actions.

    Kevin