RE: Re: Bedroom telly

IIRC the mounts come in at around 150 quid for either the desktop stand or the wall mounting kit. You might want to consider a camouflaged dish in the garden, plasma screens are notoriously intolerant of poor quality signals. Unless you have a perfect terrestrial signal it WILL look horrible.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: graham_howe [mailto:graham@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 20 June 2002 15:16
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Bedroom telly

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@i...> wrote:
> Forget the paper specs unless you want to use it as a PC monitor.
The
> speakers aren't great - similar quality to speakers that come with a
> domestic telly - I don't use them though, I use my AV amp. I don't
have
> a tuner, as all reports I've seen is that it is a pile of crap. I
use
> Sky digital as my tuner, connected via svideo.
>

> Tim.

Thanks Tim, we don't have anything other than the basic 5 channels at
the moment as there is no cable in our village and I don't
particularly want a dish on the walls of the house (I might not even
be allowed to put it up with the listed status and conservation
area). At some point I may put a dish in the garden somewhere. As I
said, I can use Tivo as the source, though that does present a couple
of minor problems:

1. not possible to record and watch live TV on two separate channels
(this may not be a problem when Tivo has 'learnt' a bit more about
our viewing habits as we won't watch so much live TV, but it is still
a problem during actual live events such as football!)

2. no teletext (not required for TV listings of course, but
occasionally accessed for sports results, lottery numbers, weather
etc.)

I suppose the solution to 1. is to use a normal video recorder to
time shift whatever it is that Tivo would have recorded whilst we are
watching the live TV. The solution to 2. is probably to use the
internet to get the information (in fact I could probably cache it on
the local server and display it quickly over the intranet as most
information requirements could be predicted).

It is certainly very tempting to go for the Panasonic, I may well
suggest this when I get home. What sort of mounting is likely to be
included in the price, or do I have to buy that separately?

Graham