Re: Combining 2 broadband connections

Quoting Jon Fautley (jon@xxxxxxx):

> In theory ;) I've just done a simple test (got 2 512K ADSL lines here). I get
> 112KB/s from ftp.uk.kernel.org.

I'm not sure that makes sense.  512Kb/sec is 64KB/sec maximum, unless there's
some sort of compression going on, and if you downloaded a large binary, I
can't see you getting almost 50% compression on it.

> Not sure what the download speed would be
> with a 'proper' 1Mb link.

All things being equal, I'd expect the download speed to double.  Of
course, that assumes that the originating site and all points in between
can transit the data to you at that kind of speed.  I can get 1.6MB/sec
between two different groups of servers that I manage in the US, so
it's definitely possible, but it's rare I see it here in the UK.

When you have two lines at (say) 512K/s, unless both ends of the
connection do some cunning multiplexing of the traffic (which seems
unlikely in this case), you'd still be stuck at the same maximum
download speed as a single line at 512K/s.  The difference is that you
could potentially do two concurrent downloads at that speed without one
having an effect on the other.

> I suppose that would sorta work on the upstream too... if you got a /29
> subnet on each DSL connection, you could setup DNS round robin and have
> a very crudely load balanced web/mail/etc server.

Crude is definitely what it is, since cached DNS entries will almost
certainly defeat any attempt to actually balance the load across several
servers.

James