Re: Combining 2 broadband connections

On Wednesday 19 June 2002 11:54 pm, Scott Ewing came forth and proclaimed:<= BR> > Some minor calculations with eclipse as the isp

> Assuming you already have 2 telephone lines:
> 2x 512k DSL =3D 45.50/mo (1mbit is =A395/mo)
> load ballancer - =A3297
> 95-45.50 =3D 49.50
> 279/49.50 =3D 5.63months
>
> So after 6 months, you would have paid off the splitter by difference,=
> then you would be paying 45.50/mo for a 1mbit DSl connection.

In theory ;) I've just done a simple test (got 2 512K ADSL lines here). I g= et
112KB/s from ftp.uk.kernel.org. Not sure what the download speed would be <= BR> with a 'proper' 1Mb link. The problem is, using your calcs above, that's th= e
50:1 contended service, so in times of high use, you would have (presumably= )
quite less bandwidth than if you had a 1Mb link proper, with it's 20:1
contention.

However, I have a 50:1 service, and have no problems with it :)

I suppose that would sorta work on the upstream too... if you got a /29 sub= net
on each DSL connection, you could setup DNS round robin and have a very crudely load balanced web/mail/etc server.

Hmmm.. how much was the load balancer again? :)

Jon

--
Jon Fautley
e: jon@xxxxxxx t: +44 (0) 1403 241337 / c: +44 (0) 7984 714410