RE: Strangely ON Topic Homeseer/CM11 Question..

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Strangely ON Topic Homeseer/CM11 Question..
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:08:24 -0000

"er......"

Okay,

In the context of Homeseer, IIS and W2K, what we did was as follows..

In the IIS folder where the home control webpages live, we added a
global.asa  with the following in it. We got this from a forum post on the
homeseer boards, and some head scratching with MSDN:

<!--METADATA TYPE="TypeLib" NAME="HomeSeer"
UUID="{88746A4F-9713-4783-BAC3-00738205F304}"
VERSION="1.1"-->
<OBJECT RUNAT="Server" SCOPE="Application"
ID="hs"
PROGID="HomeSeer.Application"></OBJECT>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE='VBScript' RUNAT='Server'>
Sub Application_OnStart
Dim hs
Set hs = Server.CreateObject("HomeSeer.DeviceClass")
Set Application("hs") = hs
End Sub
</SCRIPT>

The first time anyone accesses a page in this folder (the folder has to be
turned into a "web application" in Internet Services Manager) the
global.asa
triggers, and creates a DCOM object which is AIUI an entity which presents
all of the same properties and methods as the  Homeseer ActiveX control,
except it's available to any process in the machine. MSDN seems to indicate
that this includes other computers too, but I didn't understand how.

The UUID is the unique to Homeseer.. you can get it by searching HKR for
HomeSeer.DeviceClass (or HomeSeer.Appication)

Next up, is using DComcnfg to change the execution user to "The
Interactive
User" so the IIS process can talk to the running Homeseer process, and
changing the Security Setting to custom so that "everyone" (ie,
IIS Users)
can interact with the object.

>from
following..

<%@ Language=VBScript %>

<head>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="Javascript">
function changepage() {
parent.content.rbottom.location.href='hamain.asp';
}
</SCRIPT>

<title>Source Select</title>
</head>

<%
Dim Dev, Act
Dev=Request.QueryString("Device")
Act=Request.QueryString("Action")
hs.execX10 Dev, Act, 0, 0
%>

Our HTML pages have a zero width frame called "actionframe", and
a main
content frame called "rbottom".

Links like this:

target="actionframe">ON</a>

cause the haaction.asp page to load in the invisible frame, and refresh the
main page (which has hs.status checks on it..

What I meant in my post is that understand how to use this to the extent
that we got it working, and can play around with doing different bits. I am
*not* a developer, I'm an OS/Hardware guy, but I'll prod Jenni. I suspect
she understands the "why" rather than the "how"

I hope no-one minds the small image attachments, it helps to envision what
this stuff actually *does*... this is what our HA interface looks like now.
It's available on any TV set in the House, using normal remotes..

Ian.