RE: Strangely ON Topic Homeseer/CM11 Question..

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Strangely ON Topic Homeseer/CM11 Question..
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:44:05 -0000

Paul,

Whatcha want to know?

There are two ways to access components over DCOM. [I'm assuming VB6
here]

1. Create an ActiveX Exe project instead of an ActiveX DLL (if you
already have a DLL project, change this in Project Properties).

You need to set up the client-end to point to the server. The easiest
way of doing this is to set the "Remote Server Files" checkbox in
Project Properties for your ActiveX Exe and then use the Package &
Deployment Wizard to create a setup for your client, adding the .vbr and
..tlb files that are generated when you compile the server.

2. If the remote end is running NT4 or 2000, install your ActiveX DLL
under Microsoft Transaction Server (NT4) or COM+ (2000)
This requires you to create a Package (MTS) or Application (COM+) and
adding the DLL to it. Then use the menu options to generate a client
setup. Running the generated setup on your client will configure the
client to point to the server.

Once you have your component set up on the server and registered on the
client, it's not really any different from accessing a local COM
component.

Beware, though - DCOM is a major PITA - configuration woes are abundant.
Design your server-side component to be service-oriented, not
object-oriented to reduce the amount of interaction between client and
server.

Better idea is to use the SOAP Toolkit (free download from MS) to expose
COM objects as Web Services. Even better still, get hold of Visual
Studio .NET (even a Beta) and use that instead.

Cheers,
Steve

proggie using

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx