[OT] Dialup / ISP advice pls!

  • To: "UKHA" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [OT] Dialup / ISP advice pls!
  • From: "Justin" <justin@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:45:43 -0000

Sorry to ask, but I have been off dialup for over a year and am out of
touch!
Recently I set-up a PC for my brother and he has been having loads of
trouble with dialup.
Firstly, the modem (56k) only ever connects at 33,600bps. I did ask, and
apparently there used to be a second line, so I guess it might be DACS'd(?)
sound right? If so, can this be reversed?

Secondly, he is using Freeserve, on my recommendation, as I found them
pretty good in the past. The problem is that the connection seems to drop
all the time! it might go 10, 15 20 mins, but no more. Anyone here with
Freeserve? Are they just crap, or is there another explanation?

Help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Justin.