RE: KAT5 Website Updated

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: KAT5 Website Updated
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:32:49 -0000

> Is it possible to engineer the units with a power supply on the PCB?
That'
s what John Sim does with his RGB to SVideo converter, and it makes the
thing much neater (I HATE wall worts!)

> Would it be possible to build them so they will fit into a double wall
box - again that smacks of a far neater installation - I realise that would
restrict portability, but certainly in my case (small house) I would have
one behind the telly in the bedroom and one behind the Sky box.

I thought a version to fit in a wall box would be a good idea too.  I
discussed this idea with Keith - the problem comes with mounting the
connectors through the front of a blanking plate - how can you secure them
>from
the scarts and mini DIN would be more difficult - hot glue wouldn't hold a
scart socket in given the stupid design of it and the forces experienced
when inserting a plug into it!

The current PCBs may be slightly too large to fit into a double box -
probably because in order to keep production costs down, Keith designed 1
board that serves as a TX or RX end when correctly populated.  Separate TX
and RX boards would probably fit - but then board fabrication costs
double....

If you have 2 runs of CAT5 to a wall socket (like who wouldn't), then you
could use the second run to provide power from a central source at node
zero
via your patch panel - just don't get confused and plug an Ethernet device
into it!!!  A custom RJ45 -> power jack lead would do the trick and
remove
an ugly pregnant plug.

> Only suggestions, you can do with them what you will, but both of
these
would actually persuade me to put at least one run of CAT5 into my new
house

You know it makes sense!!!

James H

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx